Monday, April 05, 2010

Eye candy Monday

More spinning fun!
I have been spinning, spinning and spinning!

This is Spunky Eclectric superwash merino roving that has been in my stash for some time. The colorway is the perfect storm which I think is a misnomber. It is really pastel and very springy to me. I have 8 ouncs of this and spun up two ounces and Navajo-plied it to keep the color:

About 14 wraps per inch. More than fingering but thinner than sport weight. I think this will be socks.

Then I picked up eight ounces of very pretty merino from Pagewood Farm at my LYS, Uniquities:


This one I did a regular two-ply. I got about 350 yards out of a 4-ounce braid. Because it is not superwash it blooms quite a bit when washed to set the twists. I started a shawl from it:

This is my version of the Faraway, So Close shawl. I am modifying it a little bit. First off the pattern calls for worsted-weight yarn. I am knitting this is a sport/dk yarn so it will come out smaller. It is going really well.

nother in the making is a merino/silk blend from Tempted Yarns that I got from the Loopy Ewe:

I am on a spinning roll. I picked up more roving from Uniquities because I have a birthday coming up and on your birthday you get a percentage off equal to half of your age! So I got -- yep -- 25% off. How could I resist?
Here is the loot:

Top are again Pagewood Farm. The bottom two are superwash Blue-faced Leicester roving from Spirit Trail Fiberworks. I will spin and knit a scarf for Carl, probably Henry. Or some other herringbone scarf.

The last of my roving adventure has not ended there. I made a mistake of roaming the Etsy site. This just jumped into my cart and onto the wheel so fast!

I was super careful stripping the roving and spinning it because I really want to keep the color and minimize the barbar-poling yet I do not want to Navajo-ply it. I think I achieved that with the first braid. I am spinning up the second braid now. I am still debating whether I should Navajo ply it to keep the colors together. I do not want a three-ply yarn. We'll see.

In the meantime I need to finish this pair of socks:

Loksins! In Skinny Bugga

I want to finish these so I can free up the needles so I can try toe-up socks.

I need more time to spin and knit. If only work wouldn't get in the way...

No comments: