Friday, September 24, 2010

Fractal fun

Move over, Noro!

Last week I took a spinning class in fractal spinning at my local yarn store, Uniquities. Loads of fun! We learned how to manipulate the roving to get self-striping yarn a la Noro.

I got this progression-dyed roving from Wild Hare Fiber which I divided lenghtwise into two halves. The first half was spun across the web onto one bobbin. The second half then was divided into fourths, then spun one after another onto the second bobbin.



Then you ply the two bobbins together.

The resulting yarn is a self-striping one, with parts solid, parts tweedy with colors flowing into each other. In other words, gorgeous.
And the fun continues with the knitting:



I want to try three-ply fractals next.

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Wow! What a great way to handle a transitionally dyed yarn! Can't wait to see more of your shawl, and to hear about your three ply fractal adventure.