Thursday, February 10, 2011

We interrupted vacation pix

To bring you some yarny delights!
This is just a quick post to recap my January spinning and knitting. It was a very good knitting month. I knitted a handspun multidirectional diagonal scarf for Carl and a pair of watermelon socks for me on the trip to Thailand. The scarf matches his Thorpe hat I made earlier.
Yeah. Basic brown. Quick spin and quick knit. The hat was three-ply heavy worsted and the scarf was two-ply worsted Merino roving from Fiberphile.
I also finished a long-promised sweater for my friend Khun Nittaya. I promised her a sweater two years ago but just got down to knitting it. It actually took just over two weeks to make. I really like it. The pattern is Basic Chic Hoodie from Chic Knits. The yarn is Dream in Color Classy in Chinatown Apple. I opted for zipper instead of buttons.


I had not sat down at the wheel for almost two months and it took a while to get back in the zone. The first attemp was not too cool. I set out to spin a two-ply, worsted weight yarn for a shawl. The initial result was way too thin and uneven. After fuzzing about for a while I decided to cable it. The result was a four-ply, cable yarn, heavy-worsted. almost bulky weight. I quite like it.

This is my first cabled yarn.


I then embarked on a very ambitious project. This is a Blue-faced leicester/silk fiber from Bee Mice Elf (pronounced: Be Myself). I spun it two-ply worsted. I am going to kit a Fair Isle sweater strading this with Jared Flood Shelter yarn. This should be very pretty!
We'll see how it turns out.
Next: Vacation pix part III.

No comments: