Friday, March 04, 2011

finally

Vacation pix -- about time to wrap it up!

I got sidetracked and have not had a chance to wrap up my pictorial post of our vacation in Thailand. Finally, here it is.

You really cannot go to Bangkok without visiting the Temple of the Emerald Buddha and the Grand Palace. The temple itself is the most important Buddhist structure in Thailand and the Grand Palace is where the Kings of Thailand used to live. Even though there are no resident monks at the temple and the king has his residence eleswhere and the two places basically are for ceremonial functions, they still command a awesome presence in Bangkok.

They definitely are a showcase of traditional Thai architecture.

I particularly like the giants that stand guard throughout the compound.


These guys are characters from the Thai classical tale "Ramakien" which is a Thai version of the Indian epic Mahabharata which you can say is the Oriental version of the Iliad.

Now who do you think is better-looking?

Plenty of gold, colored glasses and tiles.

Adjacent to the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is the Grand Palace. Built in 1782 by Rama I, the founder of Bangkok and the present ruling royal House of Chakri, the palace had been resident of Thai kings until the death of Rama VIII (the present king's elder brother) in 1946.

Today it is primarily used for ceremonial functions.

Buckingham Palace it is not, but there is the changing of the guards:

Not far from the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is Wat Pho, better known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.

A close-up of the face. I love how serene he looks.

Wat Pho is also the birthplace of the famous traditional Thai massage. In fact there is a shool there that attracts students from all over the world.

Well, I think that about wraps up our visit to Thailand. It was a wonderful visit. It seals our relationship, our commitment to each other. My mom cried when Carl told her and my dad, in Thai, that he loved me very much.

I am not alone anymore.

And I couldn't be happier.



No comments: