Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The ugly duckling revealed

It did turn into a swan.


I remember the first time I tried to wash a fleece several years ago when I first started spinning and wanted to do it from start to finish. I did not quite know what I was doing and what I got then was a blob of matted, felted mess.

I told myself I would never again wash raw fleece.

Well, that was until I made a commitment at my LYS, Uniquities, to wash a portion of the Romney fleece for the fleece-to-scarf-demonstration and the competition in the Shenandoah Valley Fiber Festival in September. I won't be able to participate due to family commitment but I promised to wash the fleece. So I brought the fleece home.

The is the Romney we got from Solitude Wool. I got just about over a pound which made it very manageable. I laid out the fleece in two big heavy duty aluminum roasting pans.

First a plain hot water soak:


Followed by a hot soapy soak. Then a hot rinse, and another rinse and another rinse.

I put the washed fleece in the washing machine to spin out the excess water.

Look at the transformation.
The ungly duckling has turned into a swan.

How pretty!


Saturday was also the start of the Tour de Fleece. And guess what?


I am not only spinning; I am spindling!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Beautiful! A wonderful outcome from a big job. Did you use a special wool wash, like the lanolin washes or is it something else at this stage?

Aporanee said...

No I just used Dawn dish detergent and very hot water.