Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Yes there is a knitting fairy

I got bitten by the felting bug.

I was moving right along with the Lucy bag when suddenly it occurred to me this is not exactly what I was looking for. I want a tote bag for knitting stuff to carry around. The Lucy bag has a fold-over strap that makes it cumbersume to reach in and out. It would make a perfect purse, but that is not what I want.

I frogged the whole thing.

I still wanted a felted bag. I went into Ravelry and started browsing around. Then I came across this:


Yes!

More importantly, I have this pattern! Somewhere in the house. I remember saving this when I was weeding out old magazines and organizing my patterns. Yes there it was. There is the knitting fairy and she is with me today. Now, what yarn? I am determined to knit from stash and have been very good at that. As a matter of fact, except for three skeins of sock yarn (which doesn't count as stash) I have not bought new yarn this year! I know I have a bunch of odd-ball Manos. Surely I must be able to put together something.

Yes, there is a knitting fairy.


Just out of curiosity I went into Ravelry to see what people have done with this pattern. I was browsing through "felted bags" catagory when all of a sudden this picture popped up:


Felted fish by Linda Taylor.


I MUST HAVE ONE. Or two. Or a whole school of them.

Pattern. Pattern. Where can I get a copy of Knitter's Stash? Right, now.


A quick trip to the Fairfax County public library web site found one on the shelf at my library.


Yes there is a knitting fairy.

Another dive through the stash came up with a couple of balls of Diakeito Diamusee. I have no idea why I have this yarn! But it is perfect for my first fish.

Whoopee!!

I can't wait to felt him. He needs the eyes first.
I have a few odd balls of Noro Kureyon as well. I 'll just have to make sure I knit the body a little shorter. The Diamusee has 100 yards and I went over a ball. I want to keep it within one skein of Kureyon.

Let's go fishing!

1 comment:

addi knitting said...

I love the fish!! For some reason I am more into knitting critters than I am knitting useful stuff that people can wear. But then the kids are happy with it.