Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I can' believe I pulled this through

Buy more yarn than you think you need.

I finished the Noro Bolero, but it was a close call.

The pattern, in Jenny Watson's Noro Designer Mini Knits, calls for 150 grams of Cashmere Island. I was knitting with Kureyon, which has the same yardage at the same gauge. I had two skeins at home. Penny had two at the Yarn Barn. Great, I thought, in case I needed more than three.

Tuesday was my spinning day. I went spinning at my second favorite LYS, Uniquities, when I came upon a skien of the same Noro colorway. Should I pick it up for extra, extra insurance? That sounded ridiculous that I would ever need a fifth skein. I did anyway. I could take it back.
Well, Tuesday night I had this much left to do at the end of the FOURTH skein:


Five more rows of ribbing on the second front. I could not believe it.

That was pure luck that Uniquities had that extra skein.


That was almost 40% more yarn that what the pattern calls for. Now this book's claim to fame is that all 30 patterns take five or less skeins of yarn. Maybe they should have said seven or less. I know that before I start another pattern from this book (and there are so many other cute patterns) I will make sure I have plenty of yarn!

But I can't start another thing for me just now. I need to get on with this.

Four of them to be exact, for my four granddaughters. Yeah!

No comments: